Sunday, April 22, 2007

The wisdom of ancient Greeks

I picked up a book last week on some great quotes by the Greek philosophers and thinkers. It is a very small book with around 300 quotes on different subjects like virtue, humanity, god and religion, education, arts and so on. It is a light and fun read.

I love quotes and it always sends out strong and deep messages in a sentence. I get a thrill after reading the quotes and commenting how true it is. In this case, it also gave me an insight into Greek culture and how good they were at that time. I also read about these Greek thinkers briefly and I want to go a little deeper into those guys. It was well worth a read.

Some of the ones that I liked,

Don't appear just, be just [Aeschylus]
Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom [ Aristotle ]
The truth is always the strongest argument [ Sopochles ]
Death is a debt which all of us must pay [ Sopochles ]
Friendship is equality [ Artistotle ]
The fool learns by suffering [Hesiod]
Man's best possession is a sympathetic wife [Euripedes]
He is no lover who does not love always [ Aristotle ]
The measure of a speech is not the orator but the listener [ Plato]

1 comment:

cosmic clown said...

hey nice quotes indeed...and being a lover of quotes....i too share ur thoughts on quotes....one can learn so much from them....